Weekends are so overrated. We’ve discovered a recoup strategy that’s way better. It’s called the four-day weekend, and our über-chilled-out guests are proof that it works wonders. Friday to Monday timeout sessions allow you the luxury of really immersing yourself in the art of relaxation, without the constant anxiety of thinking it’s going to end after two days.
What better way to enjoy this newfound extended-weekend option than to make it coincide with Port Alfred’s Kowie Carnival on Heritage Day? This outdoor festival will be celebrating all things South African, with the special EC Today/Kowie Boerewors Championships being held on the same grounds. It is National Braai Day, after all!
Follow the distinct aroma of boerewors rolls and witness the 12 boerewors makers in two categories (retail and independent) battle it out to win the coveted title and own the rights to market their wors as The Best Boerewors in the Kowie. You’ll even get to purchase and taste the meaty temptations, with the money going to charity. In fact, all proceeds from the Kowie Carnival will be donated to Port Alfred’s Round Table charities.
East London rock band and MK Rockspaaider Award-winners Zondernaam will be entertaining crowds during the day, while the legendary singer/songwriter Anton Goosen will be on the beer-tent stage that night. For those more interested in their tummies, boerewors won’t be the only food on offer. There’s an entire food court, as well as a yummy Portuguese food village. And, while Mom and Dad wander around the craft stalls, kids can participate in a treasure hunt or paintball game, or even take a flip in a chopper or catch a ride on a pony.
After so much fun packed into one day, you’ll definitely need an extended weekend to recuperate!
Join in the festivities:
Date: Saturday 24 September
Venue: Port Alfred High School
Entry: Free; R80 for tickets to Anton Goosen (bookings with Bronwyn on 046-6241207)
Visit our website for more information about the area and other exciting things to do during your four-day stay.
Need an extended weekend? A lucky fan of Green Fountain Farm Resort could win a four-day weekend away at this magical resort just outside Port Alfred during the Kowie Carnival. To enter the competition, and stand a chance to enjoy a Friday to Monday getaway, email a 100-word motivation about why you should win this stay at Green Fountain Farm Resort to [email protected]. The winning story will be published on our Facebook page.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Only one entry per person.
- All work must be original.
- The word count is 100 words. Please aim to keep within this limit.
- We reserve the right to use entries for publication or promotional purposes.
- Emails need to reach us no later than the 9th September 2011.
- Winner will be notified by email on the 12th September 2011.
- Individuals will be notified by email in the event of their entry being selected for publication.
- Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- Entries received on paper or via post will not be accepted.
- Please make sure your contact details are correct – this is to make sure we can contact you if your entry is chosen as a winner or for publication.
- All meals, travel arrangements and extra activities are for the winner’s account.
- Accommodation for four people for a four-day and four-night stay in one of our luxury holiday homes will be complimentary.